Mr. McLauchlan is a highly sought-after business advisor, litigator, and trial lawyer. He has practiced law for over 30 years and concentrates his practice in business counseling and in resolving complex business disputes through mediation, arbitration and when necessary through business litigation.
David has counseled all manner of businesses both large and small and successfully resolved matters involving insurance, reinsurance, construction law, intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions, unfair business practices, aviation law, product liability, property damage and claims related to asbestos containing products and environmental coverage issues. He has mediated, arbitrated, and tried cases across the United States including trying cases before State and Federal Courts and in private arbitrations serving as lead trial counsel and Appellate counsel. Throughout his career he has successfully managed large litigation teams and served as a mentor and leader to numerous young litigators who are now successful partners, managing partners, and corporate law department executives. His litigation expertise and professional regard has been recognized by the Leading Lawyers Network, Illinois Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in America, and he is AV peer rated by Martindale Hubbell. He is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America and a Fellow of the American Academy of Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Mr. McLauchlan joined Lord Bissell & Brook LLP as an Associate upon graduating from law school. In 1980, he was elected an Equity Partner and became one of the firm’s top litigators. During his tenure at the firm he served in various leadership roles including serving on the Firm’s Executive Committee, Chairman of the Compensation Committee and Litigation Department Chairman. In October 2007, he became an Equity Partner of the successor firm Locke Lord LLP upon its merger with Lord Bissell & Brook. In 2009, he founded The McLauchlan Law Group LLC, and The International Arbitration & Mediation Group LLC serving as the Managing Partner. He continues to act as general outside counsel for numerous small and medium sized businesses, representing clients in major transactions and continuing his work in the field of dispute resolution through mediation, arbitration, and business litigation.
NOTABLE PUBLISHED CASES AND RESULTS
LECTURES AND PRESENTATIONS
Mealey’s, LexisNexis: “Wall Street Forum: Mass Tort Litigation: Insurance Coverage & Mass Tort Litigation.”(Oct. 2005); Speaker and Panelist for International Law Association: International Law Weekend 2005 (New York, N.Y.) on the topic: “Private Ordering and Compliance with Reinsurance Agreements.” Speech at CDEL Annual Gala regarding Pro Bono trial for indigent client (2009); September 2011, Litigation Counsel of America, Renaissance III, Trying the Unwinnable Case: “Think Like a Litigator; Sting Like a Bee: Trying Lawsuits on the Road “. October 9, 2013: Guest Speaker on Blog Talk Radio: “Money for Lunch” program hosted by Bert Martinez titled: “Insurance law issues in Privacy Law, Cyber Security, Advertising and Blogging”. December 5, 2016 webinar: “The Drones: Regulatory, Privacy, Product Liability & Insurance Issues Every Firm Needs to Know”, sponsored by The Knowledge Group.
Member of AIDA Reinsurance & Insurance Arbitration Society (Certified Arbitrator, and Qualified Mediator), Association for Conflict Resolution, Association of Insurance & Reinsurance Run-Off Companies (Arbitration Panel), Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association, Lawyer-Pilot Bar Association, American Bar Association (Member of Business Litigation, Aviation Law, Tort & Insurance, Alternative Dispute Resolution, International Law, Construction Law & Intellectual Property Law Committees), Chicago Bar Association, and Founder, The International Arbitration & Mediation Group LLC.
PRIVATE ARBITRATIONS MEDIATIONS AND EXPERT WITNESS
University of Illinois College of Law, J.D
Law School Honors/Involvement: Notes & Comments Editor, University of Illinois Law Review; National Moot Court Team
Bradley University, B.A.
Undergraduate School Honors/Involvement: Omicron Delta Kappa, honorary; President Interfraternity Council; Bradley University B Club, Golf
· U.S. District Court, N.D. & S.D. Illinois
· U.S. District Court, N.D. Illinois Trial Bar,
· United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
· United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
· U.S. Supreme Court
· Admitted pro hac vice for cases pending in numerous jurisdictions throughout the United States.
CERTIFICATIONS AND ADVANCED STUDY
· Member and Certified Arbitrator, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2016 to present
· Certified as an arbitrator by ARIAS-US: January 2009 to present (www.arias-us.com)
· Arbitration Panel Member: Association of Insurance & Reinsurance Run-Off Companies (AIRROC)
· Court Certified Arbitrator: Illinois Supreme Court Mandatory Court-Annexed Arbitration Program; Chair Qualified
· Arbitrator Training: Arbitrator Intensive Workshops; The Power of Arbitrators-Discovery issues; International Arbitration; Cook County Mandatory Arbitration Forum and Arbitrator Training; Illinois Administrative Law Conference; The Use and Role of Experts in the Arbitration Hearing; The Awarding of Costs and Reasoned Award; International Arbitration Issues; Alternative Neutral Arbitration Process; Res Judicata & Collateral Estoppel in arbitration proceedings; Experienced Arbitrations: enhancing and improving the process; The New ARIAS-U.S. Code of Conduct; ABA National Arbitration Competition Judge; ARIAS-US: Umpire Master Class
· Court Certified Mediator, United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Western Division ; Court-annexed Major Case Civil Mediation Program, Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, Law Division and Chancery Division; Certified Mediator: DuPage and Lake County, Illinois
· ARIAS-US: Qualified Mediator
· Mediator training: Northwestern University: Mediator Skills Training Course graduate certificate; CPR International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution: Advanced Mediator Training: (www.cpradr.org) and numerous other mediation training programs.
· FAA Licensed pilot with instrument rating and former plane owner
HONORS AND AWARDS
Selected in 2020 and earlier for Super Lawyers (www.superlawyers.com); Leading Lawyers Network (www.leadinglawyers.com); Best Lawyers in America selection 2021 and earlier; America’s Top 100 Attorneys Lifetime Achievement Award 2018; AV peer rated as published by Martindale Hubbell law directory; Eamon Shannon award for Pro Bono work for the Center for Disability and Elder Law (www.probonocdel.org). Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America. Fellow, American Academy of Alternative Dispute Resolution.
PRO BONO AND CHARITABLE
Mr. McLauchlan is committed to numerous charitable organizations including The Misericordia Homes Family Association; He has served as a member of the Foundation Board of Special Olympics Illinois (2008-2013). He has handled Pro Bono cases for the Center for Disability and Elder Law. He was a member of the University of Illinois, College of Law Alumni Board (2012-2014) and a mentor to numerous law students and young lawyers.
A resident of the greater Chicago area, David is an avid golfer, motorcyclist, and an aviation enthusiast and pilot for over twenty years.
Download Resume (.pdf):
Contact Information (.pdf):
Download Resume (.pdf):
Contact Information (.pdf):